Wednesday, December 2, 2015

What's with the negative stigma that comes with therapy or support groups?
I'll be the first to admit, i'm an irrational person. I make up random scenarios in my head and they can make me crazy. If you deny that you do to, time to do some work and get honest with yourself.
I go to this Red Tent group...
I'll hold while you google it.
Back?
Awesome, its pretty good. It requires you to bring your authentic self to the table and dig inside to yourself and I can appreciate that. Does everyone in my group dig deep? No, they aren't ready for what that looks like, but I have been pretty blessed that over the course of the last 5 or 6 years a lot of people have held up mirrors to me and helped me get honest with myself on a lot of levels. and its scary as shit. trust me. looking at yourself and why you choose the behaviors that you do, or why you let the irrational thought take over when all facts point elsewhere - that shit sucks.
but the more you look at yourself, the more you figure out who your sense of self is and the softer you become on yourself.
just last night the other half says to me you're very snappy tonight, whats going on. old me would have snapped and said its not me its you. new me said to be honest, i am snappy, the only reason i have is its tuesday and i'm sorry, i will be more conscience of my tone and words.
that awareness is huge, that ability to not get defensive, to not play victim is very important in growing when someone points out a fault that you have, even if its as temporary as a mood, when someone holds up the mirror, its important to see what the mirror is showing you.

so i say do the work, look at the mirror, look deep inside and see yourself for who you are. love yourself for being that person and work it out, but don't be afraid if in working it out, therapy or a support group is needed. sometimes the reminder that you aren't alone is enough to pick your head up out of the two inches of water you are drowning in.
xx

No comments: